Although lifting equipment is useful for moving heavy and awkward loads and reducing the risks associated with the manual handling of loads, it is not without its risks. These include crushing injuries from the movement of heavy loads, injuries from falling loads and injuries arising from the failure of equipment in use. The use of lifting equipment is subject to the provisions of the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998 (LOLER). In brief, these regulations require that the lifting equipment provided is:
- Strong and stable enough for the particular use and marked to indicate safe working loads
- Positioned and installed to minimise any risks
- Used safely, i.e. the work is planned, organised and performed by competent people; and
- Subject to on-going thorough examination and, where appropriate, inspection by competent a competent person
Employers are responsible for providing and maintaining personal protective equipment under the PUWER regulations. Complying with Heath and Safety regulations can be a complex and costly exercise at the best of times.
LOLER requires man riding equipment and Lifting Accessories to be thoroughly inspected every 6 months and Lifting Equipment every 12 months. This frequency may vary according to the environment in which the equipment is working.
RMT Solutions Ltd can provide the following services:
- Competent person to carry out full inspections of equipment
- Produce Lifting Plans
- Review Lifting Plans
- Advice and guidance
For further information on the services we offer, please contact us on 01744 881 536 or email us.